Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Venison Steak Salad

I'm stealing a march on Samantha here, writing this from bed as she sleeps, her face nestled into her pillow beside me. Boris the Samoyed is also in the room, snoring away, or at least one of them is snoring away ... Though its the absolute definition of simplicity, I thought I would write a short post about a meal I prepared for myself yesterday.

Our good friends, twin brothers Eric and Chris own a ranch a couple of hours from McAllen giving them access to a seemingly endless selection of the freshest fish, vegetables and meat. Foods that that they had either caught, grown, killed or bartered for themselves and that they were kind enough to share with us over the weekend. 

Unfortunately my keeper did not allow me to get too close to the carbohydrate-heavy leeks or sweet onions, and I only got tastes of the free range chicken, or of the trout and fresh-caught tuna. However this was all immaterial as I had almost free reign of the venison steaks, and they were delicious. 

Venison is a relatively lean meat, so I needed to figure out how to eat it to get the correct fat content into my meal. The pictured meal shows 63g of venison meat, as I was saving some protein for my next meal, however a nicely sized 79g steak would do the trick for the requisite 24g protein.  Not being as creative as Samantha, I simply stuck to what I knew, employing all the now standard ingredients.


Ingredients:

79g venison steak
40g baby spinach
13 green onion
75g avocado
25g European butter
35g olive oil
5g vinegar

15 g heavy whipping cream (40%)


Pan fry the steak with the butter and the green onions. On this occasion the venison steak had already been cooked the night before on the barbecue, seasoned only with salt and a bit of pepper, so I cut the steak into strips and 'buttered it', placing the onions atop and microwaving on full power for about a minute. 

The spinach and the generous portion of avocado was dressed with the oil and vinegar mix, and the venison steak strips, together with the onions and melted butter were placed on top once they were done. 

Having some carbohydrate 'left over', I made myself a cup of decaffeinated coffee with the heavy whipping cream.

fat:  80.6 g, protein:  24.1 g, carb:  3 g

ratio:  3:1

The twins were nice enough to give us about another kg of venison steak, so I can repeat this meal again, together with some venison mince (ground meat) which we will be using to make some burgers in the weeks to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment