Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Whataburger: Just Like You Like It

 Samantha had spoken at length about her family's love for 'Whataburger', the local fast food chain which was established in Texas and remains its primary home. McAllen has dozens of these joints and any trip outdoors results in the inevitable drive-by together with lyrical waxings about the craveable cuisine on offer. 

Having missed out on a visit during my first trip to Texas, I suspected that my new culinary limitations would mean that I would never get to sample the gourmet fare on offer at this fine local establishment. Unfazed by the peculiarities of my diet, I decided to join the family for a Saturday evening visit to the 'best burger joint in Texas', opting for a bun-less 'Bacon and Cheese Whataburger' add jalapenos. I asked for my meal to be served with extra lettuce and a tub of mayonnaise to boost the fat content. 

My meal was served on a plastic tray and I was able to make use of the handy plastic knives and forks on offer in the restaurant. I ate a sizeable heap of lettuce and the two slices of tomato with mayo, enjoying the traditional Whataburger patty with a slice of cheese, two rashers of bacon and a generous serving of pickles and mustard. The meal was delicious! Too good in fact, I thought - there must be some hidden carbs in there that I do not know about ... The investigation began …

Good news, actually there weren't ... as the following website demonstrates.

fat:  25.2g, protein:  24.8g, net carb:  3g

Note:  This does include american cheese, so lose the cheese for less protein and doesn't include mayo so load it up for more fat!  Also not included were the add-ons of bacon and jalapenos.  I chose not to eat the included onions and have jalapenos instead.

2 comments:

  1. Samantha (and Tristan), this is a great piece of work. Fantastic idea and extremely helpful. It is easy to follow and has all the relevant info.

    X
    Arturo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arturo, hope it can provide some help with your own low carb lifestyle!

      Delete